Our office is amalgam free and safe!
We are SMART CERTIFIED and provide this service only with teeth that need to be endodontically treated.
All dental amalgam restorations contain approximately 50% mercury, and reports and research are consistent that these fillings emit mercury vapors.
Scientific research demonstrates that dental mercury amalgam exposes dental professionals, dental staff, dental patients, and/or fetuses to releases of mercury vapor, mercury-containing particulate, and/or other forms of mercury contamination.
Furthermore, mercury vapor is known to be released from dental mercury amalgam fillings at higher rates during brushing, cleaning, clenching of teeth, chewing, etc and mercury is also known to be released during the placement, replacement, and removal of dental mercury amalgam fillings.
Mercury is toxic, and this poison is recognized as a chemical of major concern because it poses a dangerous threat to public health. Mercury accumulates in the body, and any amount of mercury taken into the body should be considered hazardous.
As such , our office is committed to keeping our office not only amalgam free but also amalgam safe by becoming SMART certified. The SMART technique entails extensive detailed protective measures that are to be utilized for the removal of existing dental amalgam fillings.
For more information, please visit https://iaomt.org/resources/safe-removal-amalgam-fillings/